(In lieu of the poster art, I chose this picture, as it features Alan Rickman, Natasha Richardson, and Rachel Griffiths R->L)This 2001 movie, Blow Dry, stars Alan Rickman, Natasha Richardson (amazing actress), Rachel Griffiths, Rachel Leigh Cook and Josh Hartnett. It also has Bill Nighy in it, so that's always fun. The movie, on the basic level, is about a hair competition that comes to town and what this means for all the characters. Alan Rickman and Natasha Richardson play veteran hair competitors as well as ex-husband and wife. While this movie probably isn't for everyone for one reason or another, I find this film to be a nice film. Not the best, but not the worst. It deals with some a handful of very serious issues, but deals with everything with enough care. The artistic element is really cool to see during the hair competition... it gets pretty intense.
Nobel Son (2008). Once again, all star cast with some very good new comers. Nobel Son is a roughly a story about a professor (Alan Rickman) who wins the Nobel Peace Prize and then has his son (Bryan Greenburg) kidnapped with a ransom (the amount given from the peace prize award). His wife is played by Mary Steenburgen and Bill Pullman plays the detective... with Danny DeVito as the neighbor. That plot really doesn't do this movie justice though- this is a mystery/suspense with moments of comedy throughout. I've seen those thrillers... you know the one's where you can figure out what's going to happen half-way through... yeah, this isn't one of them. Throughout the whole film it throws you for loops, and then it ends with a Bam finish of completely un-expectedness. The entire cast is excellent in their roles. Alan Rickman is once again a devlishly horrible man and Mary Steenburgen is a mom you don't mess with.
Alan Rickman and Mos Def was a combination I may never have given two thoughts on, until of course this movie made it plainly obvious that it was the most logical decision and why hadn't any one done this before? Running on HBO, Something the Lord Made (2004) made it's way to DVD and I'm sincerely glad it did, else I may never have seen it. This is the story of Alfred Blalock and Vivien Thomas- two men who were heart surgery pioneers and cured the "blue baby syndrome" by creating bypass heart surgery. While I am not familiar with these two men's stories outside of what this bio-pic has taught me, I still feel like this movie did the even justice. It is wonderfully crafted, everything from the fashions to the landscapes transport you back to the 1930s and later. Kyra Sedgwick and Gabrielle Union play the wives of Rickman and Def, respectively.
**I would like to note in reference to class assignments, the Avatar picture was taken from the web, and all the pictures from this blog were uploaded from my computer.
No comments:
Post a Comment