
Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (2001), Amelie for short. I saw this movie at the Old Domionion film festival, and I'm glad I did. Having heard of it for some amount of years now, in fact since it's come out actually, it's always been on that list of "movies to see" but never quite made it to the top. Starring Audrey Tautou (Amelie) this is the story about one young girl who changes the lives of many without their knowledge.
Amelies adventures include helping her father- through the travels of a garden gnome; her co-worker, through a bit of match-making; a woman, through letters from a lost love, and an old man whose bones are so brittle he cannot leave the house- among others. Through these miniature quests she ends up helping herself.
The stylistic cinematography of this movie directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet was fantastic. Very sharp, almost bulleted images at times. The colors were bold in this movie, and the direction it took was as though the audience was Amelie at times.
I sadly have a limited French cinema background, but as far as movies go in general, this was definately odd- but not in a bad way. There were times however, that I felt like shouting at the screen, but I suppose that's the point, isn't it? To get a response from your audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment